Thursday, January 14, 2010

Katty's Pick: The Lovely Bones

Hi, everyone! Katty's Big Pick for this week is "The Lovely Bones", a really, really super movie from visionary director Peter Jackson.

We follow the afterlife of teenager Susie Salmon as she aides her family in finding her killer and learns to let go of her mortal life. It's a beautiful, well told story with moving visuals and really excellent performances. Stanley Tucci was at his super creepy best as the seemingly ordinary, mild mannered man with a dark secret. Susan Sarandon's hip grandma was the fresh burst of comedy relief needed to keep things from getting too depressing and Saoirse Ronan gave a vivid, heartfelt portrayal of murdered teen Susie Salmon.
I actually got to see this movie twice this week, and I found it to be very enjoyable the second time around. The movie is filled with a lot of beautiful and symbolic images that you don't understand until later. The second time around, knowing what certain images stood for and understanding why they were there made the movie seem more powerful to me.
I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure how it compares, but a girlfriend of mine who watched it with me said it was almost line for line with a few acceptable deviations.
Despite it's length, this is a powerful and beautiful movie that I enjoyed immensely.


I hope some of you have found this helpful. The proceeding is just my opinion. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment